Refund Policy


With the exception of custom orders, we accept free returns within 14 days of purchase with a full refund, if item is returned undamaged and in the condition in which it was sent. Refunds for jewelry include pieces that have been damaged during logistics, or if the piece was incorrect. 

Email us for any questions here :

Please contact us prior to sending your jewelry back so we can ensure that it arrives safely. 

Customized orders require a 30% non-refundable down-payment of the quoted final price of the jewelry to start the customization process.  The remaining 70% of the quoted price is due upon the onset of the fabrication process and will be communicated to the client the time it is due.  Customized lockets will not be fabricated without full payments completed. All customized jewelry are final sale. We will not accept returns or refunds on any customized piece.

Any jewelry purchased through a payment plan option is final sale. 

On Sale items are also final sale and we do not issue refunds for these products.